Therefore beginning July 13, 2015, CyRide will consider requests for reasonable modifications so that individuals with disabilities can have equal access to our fixed route and Dial-A-Ride (ADA Complementary Paratransit) services as follows:
1. Modification Requests Submittals: The individual requesting the modification will describe what they need in order to use CyRide’s fixed route or Dial-A-Ride service. Individuals should state their impending trip date within their request, if possible. CyRide can take up to 21 days to process ADA applications and any ADA Reasonable Accommodation requests.
a. Requests can be made directly to CyRide’s Transit Operations Manager Rob Holm, or HIRTA's Customer Service Supervisor, Amber Falls who are the designated responsible employees to approve/deny pending reasonable modification requests. (See #2 below) Please submit the following form with your request: www.cyride.com/accommodation-form
b. Requests can be made during the Dial-A-Ride (ADA Paratransit) eligibility process www.cyride.com/dar-application
d. Requests can be made through general customer service inquiries by emailing email@example.com or by calling CyRide at 515-292-1100
e. Requests can be made through the customer comment/complaint process. Customer comment procedures are documented in the Customer Comment/Complaint Process (/about-us/customer-comment-complaint-process) and may be used to address reasonable modifications.
2. Designated Responsible Employee: CyRide’s Transit Operations Manager, Rob Holm (fixed route) or HIRTA's Customer Service Supervisor, Amber Falls (Dial-A-Ride) are the designated responsible employees to approve/deny pending reasonable modification requests.
|Fixed Route Service
Rob Holm, Transit Operations Manager
601 N. University Blvd.
Ames, IA 50010
firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-292-1100
Dial-A-Ride (Paratransit) Service
3. Use of Term Reasonable Modification Not Required: The individual requesting modification is not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request. General complaints concerning issues in accessing transit service or general information requests for modifications in service due to an individual’s disability would all be directed to CyRide’ Assistant Director of Operations as part of the general complaint process. However, any suggested request for modification by an individual with a disability determined through a complaint investigation would be forwarded to CyRide’s Transit Operations Manager, Rob Holm.
4. Requests In Advance: Whenever feasible, requests for modifications will be made and determined in advance, before CyRide or its subcontractors are expected to provide the modified service. Individuals should state their impending trip date within their request. However, this determination prior to service may not always be possible.
Depending on the complexity of the request and if any financial assistance is needed to grant the request, additional CyRide administrative/operational staff (fixed-route or Dial-A-Ride) could also be involved in providing more information for any modification approval/denial determinations.
5. Requests During Transit Trip: Where a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance, operating personnel will make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. If necessary, operators will consult with CyRide Dispatch and/or HIRTA’s Dispatcher before making a determination to deny the request. Any denials for modifications not granted in fixed route service shall be written up as an incident by the driver to forward to Rob Holm to officially log the denial as stated in #9 below.
6. Reasonable Accommodation Approvals: CyRide fixed-route drivers are not expected to retain knowledge of each specific passenger’s accommodation. Any approved modification for a passenger with a disability shall be issued a Reasonable Accommodation card they can carry/show to drivers of CyRide’s services. Furthermore, any granted reasonable accommodation for Dial-A-Ride would be listed within the drivers’ instructions when picking up the passenger as well as on their ADA card. Additionally, CyRide’s Dispatch will also have a listing of any passengers with approved reasonable accommodation(s). CyRide can take up to 21 days to process ADA application requests as well as Reasonable Accommodation requests
7. Grounds For Denial: Requests for modifications of policies and practices may be denied only on one or more of the following grounds:
a. Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of CyRide’s Transit services, programs or activities
b. Granting the request would create a direct threat to the health or safety of others
c. Without the requested modification, the individual with a disability is able to fully use CyRide’s fixed route or Dial-A-Ride (ADA Paratransit) services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose
d. Results in an undue financial and administrative burden
8. Other Actions Prior to Official Denial: In any case in which CyRide denies a request for a reasonable modification as requested by the passenger, CyRide will take, to the maximum extent possible, any other actions (that would not result in a direct threat or fundamental alteration) to ensure that the individual with a disability receives the services or benefits provided by CyRide.
Any request for accommodation that is denied prior to the trip would be confirmed with CyRide’s Operations Supervisor or CyRide Transit Director to ensure no other accommodations could be made to ensure the individual received transit service or benefits.
9. Reasonable Modification Denials: Any denials for reasonable accommodation by CyRide and/or its subcontractors will be promptly communicated via written letter and/or e-mail to the individual requesting the accommodation including the reasons for the denial.
All denials, including reasoning, will be logged/maintained for federal reporting purposes. CyRide’s Dial-A-Ride subcontractor will forward any reasonable accommodation denials regarding CyRide’s Dial-A-Ride service, along with the reason for the denial, to Rob Holm, CyRide’s Assistant Operations Supervisor at email@example.com.
10. Decisions Guided by 49 CFR Appendix E: In determining whether to grant a requested modification, CyRide will be guided by the provisions of United States Department of Transportation 49 CFR Appendix E to Part 37.169.
11. Procedures Availability: CyRide’s complaint process and reasonable accommodation procedures are available on CyRide’s website at www.cyride.com or by an individual’s request to CyRide. For a copy of these procedures, please call CyRide at 515-292-1100 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or click the links above for immediate access.