CyRide is accessible to seniors and people with disabilities. Everyday, many senior citizens and people with disabilities utilize CyRide to get around Ames. All of the published trips on CyRide’s schedule are wheelchair accessible as well as many of our stops have concrete boarding areas providing easier access to board/alight CyRide’s buses. CyRide is committed to provide all Ames residents and visitors with valued transportation services. This is especially true for our customers with special needs.
Fixed Route - All of CyRide’s published trips on the schedule are accessible to those passengers using mobility devices, as the buses are equipped with either a boarding ramp or a powered lift. However, CyRide operates many “extra” vehicles along certain high demand routes that may not be published. Therefore, there is a potential that passengers with disabilities may try to board an “extra bus” that is not accessible. When this happens, CyRide will work to provide an accessible vehicle to this passenger as soon as possible, either by sending out an additional bus or having our supervisor pick up the individual and transport them to their final destination. The following accessible features are available on many CyRide buses:
- Boarding ramp or power lift allows passengers with mobility devices to board/alight the bus. Buses with ramps can be manually operated if the hydraulic system fails, for 100% reliability.
- Kneeling feature lowers the first step of the bus closer to the curb for easier boarding.
- Priority seating in the front of the bus for seniors and riders with limited mobility, as well as areas to secure passengers with mobility devices.
- Passengers with mobility devices must allow the driver to secure the mobility device with restraints to the bus while utilizing seatbelts are an available option to the passenger.
- Wheelchair securement areas also feature an accessible yellow button, so a customer can alert the bus operator to stop at her/his stop.
- CyRide drivers announce major stops and transfer locations as well as the routes passengers can connect with to reach their final destination. You can also request the driver to announce when your specific stop is coming or request them to help locate and identify your bus route at a transfer location.
- Service animals are permitted on all CyRide buses. Non-service animals are not permitted.
- Reduced Senior/Disabled fares are available at half fare for seniors age 65 and older, passengers with a disability and Medicare/Medicaid card holders.
Call 515-292-1100 for any additional questions you may have about accessibility on CyRide’s fixed route services.
Dial-A-Ride: CyRide offers comparable door-to-door service during all hours the fixed routes are operating within the entire City of Ames for qualified customers. This service is in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act for twice the regular fare of Fixed-Route service. Dial-A-Ride service is provided under contract by Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA). To view CyRide's Dial-A-Ride brochure, click here. To be eligible for this service, passengers must be unable to use a fixed route bus due to their disability or disabling health condition and fill out an application citing those reasons for approval by CyRide. Passengers can go ahead and ride Dial-A-Ride while their application is processing by calling Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA) toll free at 1-877-686-0029 and arranging a ride. Click Dial-A-Ride applications to download the application materials and instructions or call 1-877-686-0029 for HIRTA to send you a hardcopy form through the mail.
Reasonable Accommodation/Modification Requests: CyRide is required to make reasonable modifications or accommodations to policies, practices and procedures upon request to ensure individuals with disabilities have equal access to its transit programs and services (fixed-route service and Dial-A-Ride). For more about this request process, please visit www.cyride.com/reasonable-accommodation.