Regional Transportation (Story County)
Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA) Toll free: 1-(877) 686-0029
- Purpose: Public transportation throughout Story County
- Eligibility: Anyone can ride (wheelchair accessible)
- Reservations required: 24 hours in advance
- Cost: $2.00 one way in Ames; $4.00 outside of Ames within Story County
Call HIRTA for more information about reduced fares.
Trips also available for medical trips to Des Moines (Mon/Wed) and Iowa City (Tues) for $10 round trip.
Airport Shuttle (Des Moines, Iowa)
Executive Express 1-(888) 522-9899
Intercity Providers Stopping in Ames (State of Iowa & Nationwide)
Jefferson Lines 1-(800) 451-5333 OR Burlington Trailways 1-(800) 992-4618
- Purpose: Transportation throughout the State of Iowa, Midwest Region or connections nationwide. See map of all intercity providers in Iowa.
- Ames Boarding Location: Ames Intermodal Facility (AIF); 129 Hayward Ave., Ames, IA 50010
- Cost: Fluctuates depending on destination and provider
- Transportation to/from the Ames Intermodal Facility through the following resources:
Ames Intermodal Facility (AIF)
AIF Parking Information OR Iowa State University's Parking Division (515) 294-3388
- Purpose: Provides one stop access to transportation outside of the Ames community via Jefferson Lines, Burlington Trailways and Executive Express. CyRide's #6 Brown public transit route operates northbound/southbound one block east of the facility at Welch/Chamberlain. Covered/uncovered parking is available to the general public (i.e. commuters, residents of nearby apartment complexes, ISU Campustown business patrons, etc.) on a first come/first serve basis.
- Eligibility: General Public (first come/first serve)
- Location: 129 Hayward Ave., Ames, IA 50010 (Hayward/Chamberlain)
- Cost: Fluctuates (annual/monthly/daily/hourly parking rates available)
- Bike Lockers: Secured bike lockers are available by contacting ISU's Parking Division.
- Parking: The AIF is open to the general public to park at a first come, first serve basis. Parking permits are sold at Iowa State University's Parking Division at 27 Armory Building on ISU campus (Bissell/Osborn). Hourly/daily parking is available on-site. In addition, there is "free parking" to qualified carpool/vanpools. Please call 515-294-3388 for more information.
- Funded By: Department of Transportation (TIGER) and Iowa Department of Transportation (Intercity Bus Program)
Volunteer Transportation Program (Ames & Story County)
Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) (515) 292-8890 OR (515) 733-4917
- Purpose: To provide Story County residents with safe reliable, and affordable transportation to and from essential services. Priority will be given to those needing rides to in-county medical appointments (doctor appointments, therapy and treatment sessions, picking up medication, etc.) Transportation service is provided entirely by volunteers .
- Eligible: Story County Residents (must be ambulatory - able to get to/from car with little assistance)
- Reservations required: At least 48 hours (2 days) before trip
- Requirement: Fill out client application/waiver form
- Days of Operation: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (appointments made within these hours)
- Suggested Donation for in-county trip: $3.00 - $12.00; Contributions are used to offset the cost of reimbursing volunteer drivers, unless otherwise specified.
- Funded By: United Way of Story County, Story County and the City of Ames
Taxicab Service (Ames & Story County)
- Cyclone Cab/Ames Taxi Service 515-232-1343
Story County Transportation Brochure
For a brochure of available transportation throughout Story County, please visit www.cyride.com/sct.