Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA) Toll free: 1-(877) 686-0029
- Purpose: Public transportation throughout Story County
- Eligibility: Anyone can ride (wheelchair accessible)
- Reservations required: 24 hours in advance
- Cost: $2.00 one way in Ames; $4.00 outside of Ames within Story County
Call HIRTA for more information about reduced fares.
Trips also available for medical trips to Des Moines (Mon/Wed) and Iowa City (Tues) for $10 round trip.
Airport Shuttle (Des Moines, Iowa)
Executive Express 1-(888) 522-9899
- Purpose: Private transportation to/from Des Moines International Airport
- Ames Boarding Locations: Ames Intermodal Facility (129 Hayward) & Holiday Inn Express & Suites (2600 E. 13th St.)
- Reservations required: Reserve your seat at www.executiveexpress.biz
- Days Operated: 365 Days/Year; 7 days/week; 14 trips/day
- Cost: Fluctuates depending on number of passengers and whether one-way trip or round trip
- More information at www.executiveexpress.biz
- Purpose: Transportation throughout the State of Iowa, Midwest Region or connections nationwide. See map of all intercity providers in Iowa.
- Ames Boarding Location: Ames Intermodal Facility (AIF); 129 Hayward Ave., Ames, IA 50010
- Cost: Fluctuates depending on destination and provider
- Transportation to/from the Ames Intermodal Facility through the following resources:
- CyRide - #6 Brown Route (one block away)
#1 Red Eastbound, #3 Blue North, #7 Purple (drops at Lincoln Way/Welch - two blocks away)
To access schedules to these routes, please visit CyRide's Summer timetables (summer map) OR School year timetables (school year map)
For more information, please call CyRide at 292-1100.
- Ames Taxi/Cyclone Cab: (515) 232-1343
- Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA): Toll free 1-(877) 686-0029
- CyRide - #6 Brown Route (one block away)
- Purpose: Provides one stop access to transportation outside of the Ames community via Jefferson Lines, Burlington Trailways and Executive Express. CyRide's #6 Brown public transit route operates northbound/southbound one block east of the facility at Welch/Chamberlain. Covered/uncovered parking is available to the general public (i.e. commuters, residents of nearby apartment complexes, ISU Campustown business patrons, etc.) on a first come/first serve basis.
- Eligibility: General Public (first come/first serve)
- Location: 129 Hayward Ave., Ames, IA 50010 (Hayward/Chamberlain)
- Cost: Fluctuates (annual/monthly/daily/hourly parking rates available)
- Bike Lockers: Secured bike lockers are available by contacting ISU's Parking Division.
- Parking: The AIF is open to the general public to park at a first come, first serve basis. Parking permits are sold at Iowa State University's Parking Division at 27 Armory Building on ISU campus (Bissell/Osborn). Hourly/daily parking is available on-site. In addition, there is "free parking" to qualified carpool/vanpools. Please call 515-294-3388 for more information.
- Funded By: Department of Transportation (TIGER) and Iowa Department of Transportation (Intercity Bus Program)
Volunteer Transportation Program (Ames & Story County)
Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) (515) 292-8890 OR (515) 733-4917
- Purpose: To provide Story County residents with safe reliable, and affordable transportation to and from essential services. Priority will be given to those needing rides to in-county medical appointments (doctor appointments, therapy and treatment sessions, picking up medication, etc.) Transportation service is provided entirely by volunteers .
- Eligible: Story County Residents (must be ambulatory - able to get to/from car with little assistance)
- Reservations required: At least 48 hours (2 days) before trip
- Requirement: Fill out client application/waiver form
- Days of Operation: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm (appointments made within these hours)
- Suggested Donation for in-county trip: $3.00 - $12.00; Contributions are used to offset the cost of reimbursing volunteer drivers, unless otherwise specified.
- Funded By: United Way of Story County, Story County and the City of Ames
Taxicab Service (Ames & Story County)
- Cyclone Cab/Ames Taxi Service 515-232-1343
For a brochure of available transportation throughout Story County, please visit www.cyride.com/sct.